Current issues in mining compliance
Corporate Social Responsibility
What does Corporate Social Responsibility mean for the mining industry?
Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is rapidly becoming a significant issue for all businesses, not merely those in the traditionally green or sustainable industries. Companies are finding it beneficial, and in some instances, necessary, to strengthen their corporate social responsibility efforts. The pressure to implement CSR initiatives is three-fold:
- For the sake of being perceived as a good corporate citizen
- To position the company as a preferred partner/vendor for other organizations who purchase materials and include them in their supply chain
- To demonstrate a company’s desire to do the right thing.
Industries with a potentially broad environmental impact – such as mining – which are subjected to additional scrutiny by activists and governmental entities, are feeling even more pressure than the typical business to get involved in sustainable and responsible initiatives. When undertaken, sustainability efforts can result in many benefits for employees, the geographic area in which a firm operates, the environment, and the company itself.
Download this White Paper and you will learn about:
- Why CSR is a business imperative for mine operator
- What CSR issues are significant to the mining industry
- The 10 principles in the ICMM framework to help guide mine operators in implementing CSR practices
FREE White Paper here