MSHA Issues Contractor Fatality Alert
In the first two months of the year MSHA has already recorded two contractor fatalities as compared to seven in 2014. Organizations responsible for contractor compliance should take note of MSHA’S latest announcement and are being encouraged to use this as an opportunity to educate both employees and contractor organizations.
According to MSHA, On January 11, 2015, a contract shaft miner was killed while riding on top of a skip in a ventilation shaft. The victim was caught between a support beam in the shaft and a handrail on the skip.
On January 8, 2015, a sales representative was killed helping to change a screen liner on a screen deck.
MSHA Cited Best Practices
- Monitor all personnel to ensure safe work procedures are followed.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed along with the methods to properly protect all persons.
- Prior to working, inspect your work area for hazards.
- Conduct pre-operational checks to identify any defects that may affect the safe operation of equipment before it is placed into service.
- Properly use PPE (such as fall protection, hard hats, seat belts, safety glasses) to protect against hazards associated with mining
BROWZ ensures that supply chains are safe, qualified, and socially responsible by delivering a comprehensive solution to prequalify, assess, and monitor supply chain compliance based on the unique needs of your business. BROWZ provides comprehensive contractor assessments using patented, configurable technology and expertise, resulting in the site operator’s confidence of a safer work environment for clients and supply chains around the world. The BROWZ product suite addresses global supply chain needs related to qualifying your supply chain, addressing risk, managing employee-level data, conducting safety auditing, and sourcing new suppliers. Visit www.browz.com to learn more.
The world’s most trusted brands select
to manage employees of their suppliers.Find Out More